After saying yesterday I hadn’t seen anyone do a large scale Lego Mario build, this pops up on my Twitter feed, putting my pathetic rendering to further shame.
I had a hell of a time getting the image to render the way I wanted it on this one and I’m completely dissatisfied with the final product. It’s my fault for once again straying from the mission, as no bricks were made custom in this production. The “mortar” joints on the brick block don’t show up at all so I’m not sure how do make it look right without putting it on an even larger scale, and meanwhile the joints on the pipes are all I notice. UGH.
I’m also surprised at the complete lack of anyone attempting to made Mario World in Lego before now. I’ve found cast members and a Donkey Kong level, but nothing with pipes and hills and Bullet Bills.
…and dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they fire bees at you!
I’ve realized that my attempts to change my design programs to render large builds is sort of a pointless exercise for my project. I’m not doing this to show off big builds, I’m here for custom parts. Here are some airplane fins that I’ve added jets to. Because adding jets to things are fun; just ask Buckaroo Banzai, inventor of the Jet Car. The gray blocks below the jets are printing supports; they are printed at the same time as the brick using the dissoluble plastic, and then disappear with the addition of water.
Tomorrow I plan on screwing with arches.
Spent the evening in a friends writing group, put this together on the coffee table. Spatial puzzles are fun!
My current builders don’t recognize many of the newer bricks I used in my last build, so I had to download yet another program to add in the various bricks. Meanwhile, the new program isn’t directly compatible with Blender so I have to run it through two different programs to get it there, one of which has a chance of eating various bricks. Fun!
So my new render isn’t done, so here’s a fun article about a working Lego camera.
Found this GI Joe figure that had been included in a third-party building set. I forget the brand; I don’t think it was Mega Blok. It came with this terrible hover boat or plane or something, dont’ even remember. It’s standard Joe height, can stand on standard brick pegs and has eight pegs total on it’s arms and legs.
Below is a thumb of what I was working on tonight. I’ll post a few different pics tomorrow before I rebuild it in LeoCAD and mutate it in Blender.
Edit: For some reason this didn’t post last night. Oops.
I found the Mega Block Catwoman, and most of Batman while sorting through old bricks tonight. So much articulation! Aside from their elbow and knee joints, they twist at the feet and waist. The Legs can kick out to the side almost 45 degrees. Catwoman is also wearing a removable belt. These stand about a head higher than the Lego minifigs, can you imagine reworking all of your Lego designs to accommodate the larger figures? Tedious.
Here’s the pile of bricks I was sorting, just a small part of my collection.
Been screwing around with wings tonight, obsessed with making a Hawkman or Harvey Birdman or whatever. In the above image you see my main project, the “dragon” wing on the minifig’s right and a much larger wing on the left based on the same print. Needs work, but big wings are more fun than little ones.
Below you see another work in progress, minifigs wings based on traditional plates.
I had made very nice, very clean copies of both of these, and then screwed up on saving the render. When I redid them, what’s left was inferior. It’s okay, I’ll do them again and file them away and one day I’ll print off a thousand copies.