About thebrickmaker

Brickmaker, Boozebrewer, astronaut.

Bugs

Years ago, I bought this weird bug Lego from a set that was some tie-in to a terrible live action tv show.  It was between 2002 and 2005 but I can’t seem to find any reference that it ever existed.  I wasn’t impressed with the single set I bought so after about fifteen minutes it was disassembled and in the pile.  It’s sort of like Bionicle, but not cool at all.  Apparently no one was impressed with it, and it’s been erased from history.  It’s not even on Lego’s website.

Okay, after a full half hour of searching, I’ve discovered it’s called “Galidor“.  Apparently the show also served as a lame Doctor Who spin off, complete with a small blue spaceship that’s much bigger on the inside and is known by an abbreviation (TDMN, or Trans-Dimensional Navigation Module).  Srsly, worst Lego tie-in ever.

Anyways, after watching a thousand hours of bad science fiction television, I’ve decided to use these awful parts to build a living insect spaceship MOC, ala Lexx or Farscape.

Back, Ready For Action

Image

I realize I’ve been away, that I’ve strayed from the Mission.  Funerals, birthdays, work, Mass Effect.  Probably mostly the latter.

I spent the evening sorting through boxes of old bricks and I came across my old Japanese bricks.  I’m not sure of the name, and googling variations of “Japanese fake Lego” didn’t help.  The bricks are only semi-compatible with Lego; they’re roughly the same size but the pegs are longer and ever so slightly wider.  You can stuff the Japanese pegs into the bottom of a Lego with a little force, but the Lego pegs won’t fit into the Japanese ones.  I would love someone to design Lego versions of some of those more unique parts for me to print.

Interestingly, the hand sockets are a perfect fit, but the Japanese hand is slightly, very slightly, smaller in grip than the Lego one.

Image

I also found some classic space figures, though original assemblage may not apply.  I remember when I was three or four, the ink used on Minifigs was pretty cheap, especially for the faces.  I had tons of half-rubbed off faces.  So glad they fixed that.

Image

Mario Bros!

I had a hell of a time getting the image to render the way I wanted it on this one and I’m completely dissatisfied with the final product.  It’s my fault for once again straying from the mission, as no bricks were made custom in this production.  The “mortar” joints on the brick block don’t show up at all so I’m not sure how do make it look right without putting it on an even larger scale, and meanwhile the joints on the pipes are all I notice.  UGH.

I’m also surprised at the complete lack of anyone attempting to made Mario World in Lego before now.  I’ve found cast members and a Donkey Kong level, but nothing with pipes and hills and Bullet Bills.

Tail Fins With Jets…

…and dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they fire bees at you!

I’ve realized that my attempts to change my design programs to render large builds is sort of a pointless exercise for my project.  I’m not doing this to show off big builds, I’m here for custom parts.  Here are some airplane fins that I’ve added jets to.  Because adding jets to things are fun; just ask Buckaroo Banzai, inventor of the Jet Car.  The gray blocks below the jets are printing supports; they are printed at the same time as the brick using the dissoluble plastic, and then disappear with the addition of water.

Tomorrow I plan on screwing with arches.